Wednesday 10 February 2010

How not to reach out to your customers.

Having used Heathrow airport quite frequently I have become interested in registering for retinal scanning for passing through passport control in the UK (I think it works elsewhere in eth EU as well). What a great idea for frequent business travellers going to and from countries. Last week I decided to investigate this as it seems like a great idea hopefully speeding up my entry into EU countries and making my identity more secure when travelling. Armed with 30 minutes to spare before my 7.30am flight boarding time, I looked out the registration office which is located in the departures hall of Terminal 5 hidden away down an anonymous corridor. The door was shut, and after knocking I tried the handle - it was locked. A passing airport worker advised me that I was waiting in vain. The office apparently didn't open until 8am I was told. Aha... that doesn't matter I said, I'll go when I arrive back in the UK. But you need to be back by 5pm which is when it shuts she responded with a smile. So you see most the people who are likely to benefit from this service are effectively excluded from the service - only if you had a 9am outbound flight, or a flight arriving at 4pm would you be able to access this service.
Back to the old queues in passport control for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment